Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's prayer that fills the empty spaces in our lives



Each of us in our time have had or will have those times in life when we have no control over a health crisis of our own or a family member. Just beyond such an event, I used my long standing coping skills and prayed none stop as I drove to the hospital. The pouring rain and darkened skies were an appropriate backdrop. On arrival, the comfortable rhythm of cardiac monitors answered my clinical needs, and the ability to touch, talk  and see his stability.Slowed my anxious heart . Once again the outcome being positive ( for now), is the answer to the rambling prayers that  filled the spaces of time.

As I leaned on the hospital wall. I reflected on a modestly framed hand  embroided quotation. The frame although slightly askew, had its own place in this acute care area. It was no less meaningful with some imperfections.  In fact one could see them as a simile for the bruised and battered hearts that were cared for in this facility.  It made me wonder just how many times these words when read, provoked silent prayers that then spilled into the rooms, adding to the healing and coupled the clinical skills of the physicians and staff. One can only pray.
" I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go"   Abraham Lincoln

No comments: